Paint is one of the most affordable and easiest ways to change a room. But choosing the right paint colors for your home can seem like an overwhelming task.
Paint, accessories, fabric, furniture, and flooring should all blend, so take a good look at the room you will be working on, preferably before you choose a paint color, and decide what will stay in the room, and what you may want to move out of the room.
The first thing you should do when choosing interior colors for your home, is look around at colors that make you feel good, happy, and relaxed. These colors are probably already in your home. A few examples are the colors you love to look at in your flower garden, the colors in your jewelry, or pottery, or they can be found in the colors of the clothes in your closet.
The second thing you should do is go to your local paint store and pick up a color wheel, and or sample cards, pick the sample cards that really catch your eye, and don’t be afraid to get as many as you want. Take these cards home and look at them at different times of the day and night, to see how the color will look when the sun shines in on them, or at night when you have lamps turned on, or candles burning. Study this for several days. Be patient when deciding which color feels best to you.
Complimentary colors – are the colors that are directly across from each other on the color wheel.
Harmonious colors – are the colors that are next to each other on the color wheel. Like blue and purple.
Tints – are colors with white added.
Shades – are colors with black added.
Saturation – is the amount of color used. The more color, the more vibrant.
Color tone – is the degree to which it changes.
Pastels – use only a hint of color.
Decorating with Paint
When decorating with paint, Use the following ten suggestions for optimal results: g
1. First consider the style or decor of your home. This will impact the color. Work out what sort of look or feel you are going for, whether it is urban, contemporary, modern or traditional. Once you know the look that you like and what look will work well with the other rooms in your home, the choice of color becomes much easier. So before decorating with paint, pick the look you are going for so that the paint you choose can help you meet that objective.
2. Decide on the mood you want the room to evoke. If you want a light happy feeling, dark colors will not accomplish that mood. On the other hand, if you want a mood that invokes intimacy, study, and cuddling up with a nice book in front of a warm fire, then darker colors are perfect. Os pick your mood and you will have a better chance of pickin your colors.
3. When decorating with paint you should know that some paints look differently in different lights; then look closely at the natural light exposure the room has. The amount of natural light and exposure to bright sunlight may influence you towards a choice of cooler shades like blues and greens. Less natural light may lend itself to warmer shades. So, when selecting your choice of colors make sure you check how it looks in daylight and artificial light.
4. Decorate with paint colors that compliment the rest of your home, and your things. The color chosen should especially be compatible with the fixtures which are difficult to replace easily, for example the fire surrounds, furniture, or carpets and curtains inside the home. Paint is a lot cheaper to change then furniture is, so choose colors that compliment what you have, or your money savings in using paint to decorate will go down the drain.
5. When decorating with paint, get sample cards and hold them up to your walls in all different lights, also compare them with swatches of fabrics for furniture, window treatments etc. If you collect samples of everything from carpet to curtains, and put together a storyboard, this will help inspire your creativity and make sure you are happy with your final selection, all before you spend any money at all.
6. Before you start your paint job make sure you have bought enough paint. This is especially important if you are having it custom mixed. It can be difficult to perfectly match colors later, so rather than deal with the hassle, know what you need before hand, and be sure to get a little more than you think you need for touchups etc.
7. Decorating with paint is fun, but cleaning paint off furniture and floors is not, so be sure to clear as many items out of the room beforehand as possible, and use drop cloths to protect your floor. Also, make sure the room is well ventilated throughout your painting job so you don’t hurt yourself.
8. Decorating with paint is fairly inexpensive, but you do not want to have to do it every few months, or even years, so spend a little more and make sure you buy a top quality paint. Don’t use poor quality materials, and put all your hard work and planning to waste. 9. Prep your walls well before painting, even the highest quality paints do not adhere well to dirty surfaces. 10. Paint color is one of the most profound and powerful ways to shape our surroundings. Don’t be afraid to go bold, you can always change your paint later if you find you hate it, but chances are you will wish you had used even more color.